Northwest Neurology’s Neuropsychology program provides outpatient neuropsychological and psychological evaluation services to a broad range of patients with a variety of disorders, as well as inpatient, hospital-based consultations.
Neuropsychological evaluations of thinking abilities such as attention, language, memory, and reasoning skills, as well as intellect, academic achievement, emotional well-being, mood, and personality, are conducted for patients with a variety of neurological conditions. Neuropsychological evaluations can help to profile the underlying cause of cognitive dysfunction, provide insight to help patients and physicians better understand diagnoses, and help to delineate the impact of a neurological disorder on the person’s thinking and emotional well-being. Neuropsychological evaluations can also help to develop a comprehensive treatment plan. The Neuropsychology program provides evaluations and treatment recommendations for a host of conditions including:
- Patients with known or suspected neurological conditions (e.g. stroke, brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, Frontotemporal Dementia, Lewy Body Disease, other dementia types), as well as other medical conditions that can impact a person’s thinking and/or emotional functioning
- Traumatic brain injury, with a special focus on the impact of concussions, assisting patients and their medical providers with treatment goals and decision making for returning to play for athletes, as well as school and work return after an injury
- Developmental issues including Learning Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Psychiatric Disorders such as Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, and Schizophrenia
Presurgical Psychological Evaluations
Psychological evaluations for patients requiring clearance prior to surgical procedures are also available, including for:
- Bariatric procedures (gastric bypass, gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy, duodenal switch)
- Procedures for the management of chronic pain (spinal cord stimulators, intrathecal pumps)
- Cochlear implant candidates
Please note that presurgical evaluations require a referral from the surgeon.
Inpatient Neuropsychological Consultations
Neuropsychological evaluations are available at the hospitals where Northwest Neurology providers are on staff to assist with diagnostic clarification, treatment planning, discharge planning, and issues surrounding decisional capacity
Please note that inpatient consultations require a referral from the attending or consulting physician/provider.
Forensic Evaluations/Independent Neuropsychological (Medical) Evaluations (IME)
The Neuropsychology Service also provides comprehensive forensic evaluations for clients in civil cases, workers compensations claim or other insurance claims involving matters such as traumatic brain injury, neurotoxic injury and emotional claims, such as depression, anxiety and PTSD. Evaluations can also be conducted to assist in the defense of criminal cases, including issues such as a capacity to understand Miranda rights, a capacity to stand trial, a capacity to provide a plea, assessment of mental status at the time of offense and mitigation. Please note that forensic evaluations/IMEs require a referral from the attorney or insurance company.
The Neuropsychology Service also provides treatment and follow-up consultation for neurologically involved patients and their family members. Some cognitive rehabilitation and emotional support services are available. As clinically indicated, we work closely with psychologists and psychiatrists in the community, as well as speech therapy, occupational therapy and learning disability specialists.
Please fill out the form below prior to being seen by our Neuropsychologists.